FURTHER FITZMAURICE DESCENDANTS OF THE 5TH LORD OF KERRY - DUAGH BRANCH
Dr Robert FitzMaurice, LKQCPI 1851, LRCSI 1851, MKQCPI
1885. Fifth son of Ulick Fitzmaurice and Margaret Stokes. Of Clogher,
Co Kerry. Also practised at Denny St, Tralee. Married Thomasine
Stevens, a widow, otw Taylor. Had issue four sons and three
(1) Sir Maurice FitzMaurice, CMG, FRS, Lieutenant Colonel, born 11th May 1861. President of the Institute of Civil Engineers. Married 1911 Ida, daughter of Col E. Dickinson of West Lavington Hill, Midhurst. Had issue:
(a) Margaret, born 1912. Lived in London. Did not marry.
(b) Elinor, born 1914. Lived in Monkstown. Did not marry.
(2) John Day Stokes FitzMaurice, 2nd son, born 4th January, 1863, BA TCD. Judge, Indian Civil Service. Married 2nd January 1890 Emily Grace Ellen Cooke, daughter of Professor samuel Cooke of Waterford and Tramore. Head of College of Science at Poona. Had issue:-
(a) Maurice Alexander Ross Geraldine FitzMaurice b 1892, educated at Felsted. Severely wounded at Neuve chapelle on 28th October 1914. Killed at same place on 6th August, 1915.
(b) Lieutenant Colonel Sir Desmond FitzJohn FitzMaurice, CIE, JP. Clare College, Cambridge - Engineering. Instructor RMA Woolwich and School of Military Engineering, Chatham 1923-1924. Lived at Mount Rivers, Killorglin, Kerry. Married 1926 Nancy, daughter of Rev John Sherlock Leake, Vicar of Grayswood, Haslemere. Had issue one son and three daughters.
(3) Nora FitzMaurice, b 1890 and married 1911 Lt Colonel John Lionel Philips of Abbey Cwmhir, Radnorshire, wales, 3rd son of G.H. Philips and had issue two children.
John FitzMaurice, son of John FitzMaurice and his wife Margaret Stack, married Mary Burke and had issue three sons and four daughters:
(1) Ulick FitzMaurice, Colonel 35th Foot, married Mary (born 1799), daughter of James Eager of Dingle, Co Kerry. Had issue one son and two daughters.
(2) John Gerald FitzMaurice (born 1793) of the Rifle Brigade; Major General, Knight of Hanover, born 24th May 1793. Died at Drayton Green, Mixxlesex on 24th December 1865. He married at Knockvallig House, Co Kerry on 3rd November 1824 Frances Maria Walkins of Silkstones, Yorks. By Frances Maria he had two sons and four daughters:-
(a) Maurice Henry FitzMaurice, born 9th June 1833, Captain and Adjutant, 11th Brigade, Royal Artillery. Died at Landony, India oni 6th March 1868.
(b) John Gerald FitzMaurice, junior.
(c) Gertrude FitzMaurice who married Rev Sanders Etheridge, Rector of Haslemere.
(d) Emma FitzMaurice
(e) Anna Maria FitzMaurice, married 10th April, 1850 Benjamin Huntsman, JP of West Retford Hall Notts and of Letercliff, Yorks, Lord of the Manor of Wadsworth. He died 26th June 1893. Had issue two sons and two daughters.
(f) Geraldine FitzMaurice.
(3) Robert Day FitzMaurice, Dingle, farmer. Married Miss Shannon. Had issue one son and two daughters.
(4) Margaret (Peggy) FitzMaurice married George Pinchin, Skibbereen, Co Cork, Inspector of Royal Irish Constabulary. Had issue three sons and three daughters.
(5) Mary FitzMaurice (born 1798). Married Patrick McKenna, Dingle at Knockvallig House on 7th March, 1821. Patrick McKenna was land agent to Lord Ventry. He died 13th January 1839. She died 1850. Had issue three sons and three daughters_
(a) Patrick FitzMaurice, third son, Priest of the Order of St Vincent, Professor of History at the Irish College, Paris.
(b) Ellen FitzMaurice b 30th June 1832, married at Ballyhea House to Dr Patrick Murphy, LAH (born 1812 and died 1st February, 1869). Had issue three sons and two daughters.
(6) Catherine FitzMaurice. Married. Died young
(7) Elizabeth Agnes FitzMaurice. Married firstly Captain Ralph Vincent Manning of Lacka House, near Duagh, Kerry. He died March 1837. Had issue. Elizabeth married secondly Mr O'Farrell.
John Gerald FitzMaurice Junior born 21st June 1837, a son of John FitzMaurice and Mary Burke. Graduated from St Mary's College, Oxford. Barrister at Law in Inner Temple. Inspector of Schools. Married 15th July 1869 Florence Augusta Marian, only daughter of Thomas Adolphus Boyrenson of the HEICS and Bombay Cavalry and died February 1917. Had issue four sons and one daughter:-
(b) Gerald Vere FitzMaurice b 13th June and died 19th August 1872.
(c) Rev Desmond FitzMaurice, Rector of Lumley, Dorset. Born 27th November 1873, MA, Christ Church, Oxford. Married 28th October, 1911 Norah Violet Edith Lindsay Young and died 18th July 1945. Had issue three sons and two daughters.
(d) Sir Raymond FitzMaurice, KBE, DSO. Born 7th August, 1878. . Youngst son of John Gerald FitzMaurice Junior. Director of Signals, Vice Admiral, RN. Married firstly 1912 Evelyne Mary who died in 1914, daughter of Charles Threlfall and secondly in 1919 Beatrice Mary, daughter of Admiral Sir Day Bosanquet. He died 25th october 1943. Had issue one daughter by his second wife.
(e) Geraldine Augusta FitzMaurice.
Sir Maurice Swynfen FitzMaurice, KCVO, CB, CMG born 12th August 1870. Director of Intelligence, Admiralty and Vice Admiral, RN. Died in 1927 at Capetown while Commander in Chief, The Cape Station. Married Mabel, daughter of S.W. Gray of New South Wales. She died 26th November 1943. Had issue:-
(1) Sir Gerald Gray FitzMaurice, KCMG (1954). Chief Legal Adviser, HM Foreign Office. Born 1901. Educated Malvery and Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge BA LLD 1924. Called to Bar, Gray's Inn 1925. Married in 1933 Alice Evelina Alexandra Sandberg and had issue two sons, James Alexander Swynfen Fitzmaurice and Maurice Evely Forbes FitzMaurice
(2) Maurice FitzMaurice. Killed 1923 in air accident.