HERRING AND HERRING COOPER DESCENDANTS OF HARMAN, Son of James of Kilmihill, Co Clare, third son of William, 20th Baron of Kerry
Harmina FitzMaurice, b 29 Aug 1749, was a daughter of Harman FitzMaurice and his wife Margaret FitzGerald. She married on 30th September 1770 at Carlow Parish Church Darby Herring born 1730, a son of Archbishop Thomas Herring who was born in 1691 at Walsoken, Norfolk and who died 13 Mar 1757. Archbishop Thomas and his wife had two sons, Darby and Thomas. Thomas Herring married Miss Cooper, the sister and heir of Sir William Cooper, Bart and they had a son James Herring who married Anne FitzMaurice in 1768 at Leighlin, Carlow. Darby died on 6th April, 1796 and was buried on 18th April, 1796 at Leighlin, Carlow.
Harmina and Darby had ten children. The Herrings inherited the estates of Sir William Cooper in 1760 and in turn changed their names to Herring Cooper.1. Lieutenant Patrick Herring, bapt 10 Feb 1773 Carlow Parish Church. Lieutenant of 67th regiment. Died unmarried in India..
2. Harmina Herring, died 17 Jul 1817. Carlow. Lived at Paradise, Carlow..
3. Frances Herring married on 11 Mar 1821 at Killeshin Parish Church Sampson Hope Cooper..
4. William Herring. Captain of Carlow Yeomanry. Died unmarried..
5. Thomas Herring.b 1785 and died 1857
6. John Herring. b 1790 and died 1837
7. Mary Anne Herring. b 1799 and died unmarried. in 1859
8. Ellinor Herring.b 1793 and died 9th March,1867. Unmarried. Became Ellen Herring Cooper. Lived at Barn, Queens Co, then Hanover House, Burrin St, Carlow. Her will survived. Made bequests to her cousins Anne and Arabella Fitzmaurice, daughters of James Fitzmaurice and his 2nd wife Juliana (otherwise Cooper and Browne) and cousins of Ellen. Left her interest in lands of Snugborough to nephew Darby Herring Cooper.
9. Jane Herring..
10.Major Harman Herring b 22 May 1774 married Selina Weldon.
Major Harman Herring assumed the surname Cooper in consequence of inheriting the estates of Sir William Cooper, Bart who died in 1760. Harman was a Major in the Carlow Militia, a magistrate for Queens County and served as High Sheriff for the County of Carlow in 1841. He married Elizabeth Davies, the daughter of Charles Davies. He died on 29th December 1851 at Shrule Castle. Burial service at Leighlin, Carlow. Harman and Elizabeth had five children:-1. Major Harman Herring Cooper b 1818 and died 1887. Married on 27th May 1865 Selina Weldon, a daughter of Sir Anthony Weldon.and they had seven children.
2. Darby William Herring Cooper b 1805 and d 1883. married Sarah Jane Cary, a daughter of Captain William Cary. Sarah survived her husband and died on 2nd May 1896 at her residence, Hanover House, Carlow, relict of Darby. The will of Darby Herring Cooper of Hanover House Carlow survived. He left the house & lands to Sarah Jane. He had other lands at Ardenhue, Snugborough, Spring Hill. He inherited under the will of his cousin, Captain James Herring. He died on 29th April 1883.
3. Charles Herring Cooper. Married and was living at Eydon, Northamptonshire and had issue a second daughter Harmina (Minnie) who married on 3rd January 1880 at St Mary's, Weymouth, George Rennie Manderson.
4. William Charles Herring Cooper. b 1818 and d 1892
5. Elizabeth Herring Cooper married George Knaggs. She died on 23 Mar 1950 at Corderry, Co Louth.
Major Harman Herring Cooper married Selina Weldon. He died on 20th April, 1887 of Palatine Lodge, Carlow. Aged 72. Burial at St Anne's, Carlow. She died on 12th January 1897 at Kimberley, Booterstown, Dublin of acute pneumonia and was described as the wife of the late Harman Herring Cooper of Shrule Castle. Her burial took place at Carlow churchyard. They had issue:-1. William Herring Cooper (youngest son of Major Harman of Shrule Castle, Carlow) b Kilfera, Co Kilkenny. Married 30 Jul 1855 Killeshin Parish Church Barbara Harriet FitzMaurice, a daughter of James and Harriet Thomas. He died on 12 Oct 1892 at St John's Place, Birr. Co Offaly
2. Harmina Herring Cooper married Major Dudley Richard Apthorp on 31 July 1907 at St Peter's Church, Dublin. They had a son Major Desmond Pretyman Apthorp who died 17 Oct 1983..
3. Kathleen Annie Herring Cooper b 28 April 1870 married aged 45 on 10th July 1915 in St Mary the Boltons, London, Colonel William Hugh Biddulph. She died on 2 Feb 1948 aged 77..
4. Adelina Herring Cooper b 30 Oct 1871 married on 24 May 1911 at St Mary the Boltons, London by Rev Rosedale, Frederick Digby Dampier Terry, son of Lieutenant Colonel F.S. Terry, late of the KOSB. Her father Harman had died before her marriage.
5. William Weldon Herring Cooper..
6. Rev Anthony Crossdille Herring Cooper. He died September 1938 at Highgate, London..
7. Olive Lewin Herring Cooper b 7 Mar 1877, married Andrew Hugh Hunter. She died 12 Jan 1963 at 5 Marine Terrace, Dun Laoghaire, Dublin..
William Herring Cooper b Kilfera, Co Kilkenny married on 30th July 1855 at Graigue Church, Barbara Harriet FitzMaurice bpt 16 Jul 1827 at Dunleckney near Bagnelstown, the fourth daughter of Captain James FitzMaurice and Harriet Thomas. Barbara died on 4th September 1911 at Fruit Hill, Carlow. William and Barbara lived at Oxmantown Mall, Parsonstown. They had two children:-1. Fitzmaurice Herring Cooper (youngest son) b 1865 and d12 July 1886 at Shoal Lake, Manitoba aged 21.
2. Harman Herring Cooper married on 16 Jan 1901 at Killeshin Parish Church Azelie Rebe Shackleton, the daughter of Patrick Dudley Shackleton. She died on 22nd February 1950 at Burton Hall, Carlow..
|William Raymond Fitzmaurice married Anne Hodson. She was the daughter of Major Hodson of the Royal Dublin Militia. Her mother was Catherine Harminah, only daughter of Colonel James Herring of Graigue. She died at the residence of her son in law, Everton, on 23rd June, 1844|