DESCENDANTS OF HARMAN FITZMAURICE, Son of James of Kilmihill, Co Clare, third son of William, 20th Baron of Kerry
Fitzmaurice, 20th Baron of Kerry
Born 1633; died 1696 or 1697.
Circa 1665, William (20th Baron) married Constance (christened 5th Oct 1637 and d. 12 Oct 1685), daughter of William Long. William died 1710. William and Constance had issue: Thomas (21st Baron of Kerry & 1st Earl of Kerry), William of Gullane, situated near Ballybunion, Co Kerry and Capt James and daughters Hon Honora and Hon Constance.
1. Thomas Fitzmaurice, 21st Baron of Kerry and 1st Earl of Kerry (b. 1668, died 16th March, 1741 and buried 21 March, 1741 Killtomy). Married Anne Petty, the daughter of Sir William Petty and his wife Elizabeth Waller, Baroness Shelburne, daughter of Sir Hardress Waller on 14th January, 1692 and had issue:
a) William Fitzmaurice (1694-1747 in Lixnaw), 2nd Earl of Kerry. Governor of Ross Castle. Colonel in the Coldstream Guards. Privy Counsellor and Custos Rotulorum of Kerry. Married Gertrude Lambart, daughter of Richard Lambart, 4th Earl of Cavan. Had issue; a) Francis Thomas Fitzmaurice, 3rd Earl of Kerry (1740-1818) and a daughter Anna Maria Fitzmaurice who married Maurice FitzGerald, 16th Knight of Kerry. William died when his son and heir was only seven. Francis Thomas Fitzmaurice married Anastasia Daly of Queensbury, Co Galway. They had no children.
b) John Petty Fitzmaurice (b 1706 Shelburne House, Dublin and d 14th May 1761 at Lansdowne House, Berkeley Square, London). 1st Earl of Shelburne. Married Mary Fitzmaurice, daughter of Lt Col William Fitzmaurice and Deborah Brookes on 16th February 1734. Buried at Bowood, Wiltshire. Sheriff of Kerry in 1732. MP for Kerry 1743-1751. In 1751 he changed name legally to John Petty. Was created 1st baron Dunkeron. Privy Counsellor. Had issue:
a) General William Petty, 1st Marquess of Lansdowne (b 2 May 1737 and died 7 May 1805). Married firstly Lady Sophia Carteret on 3rd Feb 1765 and secondly Lady Louisa FitzPatrick on 19 July 1779.
b) Hon Thomas Fitzmaurice (b 1742) who married Mary O'Brien, Countess of Orkney, daughter of Murrough O'Brien, 1st Marquess of Thomond and Mary O'Brien on 21st December 1777. Had issue John Hamilton Fitzmaurice, Viscount Kirkwall (b 9 Oct 1778 in Denbigh, Wales and d 23rd Nov 1820.
c) Charlotte Fitzmaurice , third daughter, who married Sir John Conway Colthurst, 1st Baronet of Ardrum, the son of John Colthurst and Alice Conway. The Colthursts of Blarney Castle, Co Cork are descended from this line.
d) Elizabeth Fitzmaurice who married Maurice Crosbie, 1st Baron Brandon, son of David Crosbie, High Sheriff of Kerry and grandson of Sir Thomas Crosbie. Had issue seven children including:
2) Maurice Crosbie, Dean of Limerick who married firstly Elizabeth Gun and secondly Pyne Cavendish, daughter of Sir Henry Cavendish.
3) Dorothea Crosbie who married Rev Richard Pigott
4) Jane Crosbie who married Thomas Mahon
5) Ann Crosbie who married Bartholomew Mahon
6) Elizabeth Crosbie who married Lancelot Crosbie
7) John Crosbie who married Elizabeth Fisher. Elizabeth's husband Maurice Crosbie died in 1762 and was buried in Ardfert.
e) Arabella Fitzmaurice married Colonel Arthur Denny who was MP for Kerry from 1727-1742 and Provost of Tralee, son of Colonel Edward Denny and Lady Letitia Coningsby. They had no issue. Arabella was a philanthropist and founder of the Magdalen Asylum for Protestant Girls in Leeson St, Dublin in 1765. In the same year she was granted the freedom of the City of Dublin. She lived at Lixnaw Castle until her husband died in 1742. She spent her later years living in Blackrock, Co Dublin with her cousin Katherine Fitzmaurice. She died aged 85.
2. William Fitzmaurice of Gullane, near Ballybunion, Co. Kerry, Colonel in the Army, who married Deborah, daughter of Sir John Brookes, Bt. and his wife Mary Waller, a daughter of Sir Hardress Waller, a Major General in Cromwell's invasion force, at St Peter's Church of Ireland, Dublin on 25th November 1741 and had three children. By deed dated 1709 William was granted the lands of Ballyneragget, Co Kerry, formerly held by Patrick Trant by the Hollow Blade Sword Co. William died in 1711 and was survived by his widow who was recorded as living in Dublin City in 1714. Deborah Fitzmaurice died on 17th July 1751 aged 89.
3. James Fitzmaurice, Captain, of Kilmihil, Co Clare who married Catherine, daughter and heiress of William Harman, of Derrymoyle, Queen's County and of Dublin whose will was dated 27th April, 1682 and proved 10th Jan 1684. William's only other child was a daughter who had married John Dodson but had died before her father so William left his wealth to his younger daughter Catherine. William's father was Edward Harman and his father's brother was Sir Thomas Harman of Athy, MP who commanded Sir George Wentworth's troop in the Athy area in 1643 (the brother of Sir Thomas Wentworth, 1st Earl of Strafford who was executed by Charles 1). The Harmans were connected with Carlow at least as early as 1639 when Thomas Harman Esq sat as MP for the borough. The name 'Harman' was passed down through successive generations of the Fitzmaurice family. James and Catherine were recorded as living at Bannagh, Co Kerry in 1720 & 1724. Hon Captain James died before 1749 when his widow advertised the lands of Derrymoyle and the colliery for let. In 1749 Hon Mrs Catherine Fitzmaurice widow and relict of Hon Captain James was recorded as living at Bowensford near Charleville, Co Cork (reference Pue's Occurrences of 21st February 1749)
4. Hon Constance Fitzmaurice Married firstly John Odell, son of Major John Odell and Elizabeth Cane in 1693 a) William Odell who married Brudenell and had issue Charles Odell. b) John Odell b 1697 and d 1725. He married his cousin Anne Fitzmaurice, daughter of Captain Hon James and Catherine Harman on 2nd December 1720.
Hon Constance Fitzmaurice married secondly Sampson Cox of Ballynoe at Ballingarry, Co Limerick, the son of William Cox and Charlotte Sampson on 11th May 1698. Robert Cox was granted the lands of Ballynoe by patent dated 28th Sept 1637. He married Mary, Daughter of Right Hon Sir Thomas Standish of Bruffe and left a son William who had two sons, Sampson (heir) and Robert.
Sampson was buried at Ballingarry on 10th October, 1734. Had issue five sons and five daughters. Amongst the issue were:-
a) Mary Cox, bpt 21st March, 1699 (Ballingarry).
b) William Cox, b 1701 - No entry in Ballingarry register. Married 13th March, 1727 Margaret daughter of Hugh Hutchinson Esq of Bantry and d Oct 1762 leaving issue. Hugh, Emanuel, Samuel, Robert (Military Officer), William (RN), Constantia who m Richard Stephenson, Frances who m Samuel Adams, Deborah who m Richard Lane Esq of Ballyscanlan, Co Limerick. The eldest son Hugh bpt 31 Dec 1730 m 1757 Elizabeth, daughter and co heir of John Vowell of Springfort and had issue: Vowell, William, Hugh, John, Sampson, Robert and three daughters. Hugh died 1783.
c) Frances Cox, bpt 24th October 1702 (Ballingarry).
d) John Cox, bpt 20th January, 1703 (Ballingarry). Burial Ballingarry 2nd June 1707
e) Margery Cox, bpt 8th April, 1705 (Ballingarry). Married John Gabbett Esq of Limerick
f) Robert Cox, bpt 21st May, 1706 (Ballingarry). Burial Ballingarry 8th April, 1708
g) Deborah Cox, bpt 18th May, 1708, (Ballingarry). Burial Ballingarry 11th April 1709
h) Catherine Cox, bpt 13th August, 1710 (Ballingarry). Married Jeremish Jackson Esq of Fanningstown.
A further son William was buried on 1st June 1700 with no baptism recorded in Ballingarry.
5. Hon Honora Fitzmaurice married Sir William Piers, 2nd Bart and had issue:
a) William Piers who married Elizabeth Croker, daughter of Edward Croker of Rawleighstown, Co Limerick and had issue:
b) Sir Henry Piers, 3rd Bt b 1678 and d 14 Mar 1733. He married firstly Jane Pigott, d of John Pigott and Gertrude Southwell, the daughter of Sir Thomas Southwell, 1st Bat and Elizabeth Starkey. They had issue Sir John Piers, 4th Bart who died 14 Feb 1746 and Lewis Piers. He married secondly Hon Katherine Barry, d of Richard Barry, 2nd Baron Barry of Santry and Elizabeth Jenery on 8th Dec 1729. He died 14th March 1733.
Harman Fitzmaurice, the eldest son and heir of Captain James was born 26th May, 1704 at Kilmihil, Co Clare, married Margaret (born 1714, succeeded Harman but died before 1769 (ref: Fitzmaurice vs Sadlier), the daughter of Gamaliel FitzGerald of Cloghredy, Co Tipperary and his wife Susanna Raines on 17th December, 1732. Margaret's father Gamaliel was High Sheriff of Limerick in 1728. Harman Fitzmaurice died aged 44 on 20th March, 1749. Harman and Margaret had issue - The eldest son James was the first of this line of Fitzmaurices to move to Carlow. His address in 1758 appeared in a deed as Ballygrenane in the liberties of the City of Limerick. His parents Harman and Margaret were referred to in a deed of 1780 as being late of the city of Dublin. Harman was also recorded as being of Banagh, Co Kerry.
1. James Fitzmaurice, eldest son, born 24th June 1735 and baptised at Ballyhay, south of Charleville, Co Cork. His god fathers were The Hon James Fitzmaurice and Master Thomas Odell. His god mothers were the Hon Mrs Katherine Fitzmaurice and Mrs Elizabeth Fitzgerald (possibly his mother's aunt who had married Gamaliel's brother James). James married 1st Catherine Moore in 1755 when he was a minor and 2nd Juliana Cooper on 25th March, 1776. He died Carlow 14th October 1813.
James Fitzmaurice, eldest son of Harman, married 1st Catherine Moore (Her Trustees were Southwell Moore and Richard Rose - ref Fitzmaurice & Sadlier). She died 1769 (ref: Fitzmaurice vs Sadlier). James married 2ndly Juliana Cooper (maiden name Browne) & had issue. His issue by Catherine Moore were:-
1. Harman Fitzmaurice, eldest son, born 28th July 1755 at Spring Hill. His god fathers were Warter Wilson Esq and William Moore Esq. His god mothers were The Hon Catherine Fitzmaurice and Mrs Elizabeth Magrath. Married Maria Evans. He died 9th July, 1839 at Ardatagle, Carlow - See below.
2. Margaret Fitzmaurice, born 18th February, 1757. Her god fathers were Major Thomas Odell and Edward Fitzgerald Esq and her god mothers were Mrs Blennerhassett and Miss Barbara Moore.
3. Thomas Fitzmaurice, born November 1758. Died
4. James Fitzmaurice, born May 1760. Died
5. Mary Anne Fitzmaurice, born 11th August, 1762. Her god fathers were F.P. Burton Esq and Thomas Spaight. Her god mothers were Mrs Captain Fitzmaurice and Mrs Mary Meara. Married 22nd Jan 1787 at Leighlin, Carlow to Richard Butler of Ballahide. She died 15th February, 1825. No further information yet known.
6. Catherine Fitzmaurice, born 17th October, 1762. Her god fathers were Js Croker Esq and Pendergast Smith Esq. No further information yet known.
7. John Fitzmaurice, born 9th January 1767. His god fathers were John Fitzmaurice Esq and John St Leger Esq. His god mothers were Mrs Mary Moore and Miss Ann Fitzmaurice. Married 17th Sept 1797 to Henrietta Frances Cary. He died 23rd January, 1840 at Killeshin, Carlow.
James married secondly Juliana Cooper (otw Browne), the youngest daughter of William Browne and Elizabeth Clayton on 25th March 1776 at Leighlin, Carlow. At that time James was recorded as living at Summerhill, Carlow and Juliana, widow of Newtown, Carlow. Juliana was the widow of Thomas Cooper of Bennekerry and Newtown, Carlow and a son of William Cooper of Sragh otherwise known as Cooper's Hill. She was born in 1744 and died 4 Mar 1787 (ref: Leighlin Parish Death Register). Her brother was Robert Browne of Browne's Hill and her uncle was Robert Clayton, Lord Bishop of Clogher from whom she inherited a signficant bequest. She was buried in Carlow churchyard.
A marriage deed to Juliana's first marriage to Thomas Cooper was dated 30th September, 1762 (Deed (234 335 153455). By Juliana's first marriage to Thomas Cooper, she had a daughter Juliana Cooper b 1771 and died 11th October 1847 who married at St Anne's Church, Dublin on 6th August, 1789 Sir Richard Cavendish, 2nd Lord Waterpark (born 13th July 1765). Her daughter Juliana's obituary was dated 1847. She also had a daughter Catherine Cooper. Their daughters were described as the surviving co-heirs at the time of Thomas Cooper's death at his seat at Newtown, Carlow as recorded by the Dublin Hibernian Journal of 25th May 1772. His death was recorded in Betham's Abstracts. Thomas Cooper lived at both Cooper's Hill and Mullaghmast Castle, Co Kildare.
James and Juliana were living at Sion, Carlow in January, 1780 when James made over serveral estates in Limerick, Queens County and Carlow to his eldest son Harman subject to charges and incumbrances. A provision was made in a deed of 29th January 1780 for the younger children of James by Juliana. (Gamaliel was not born at that stage). This implies that there may have been more offspring of James and Juliana following their marriage in 1776 and before Gamaliel was born in 1787.
Following their marriage on 25th March, 1776, James Fitzmaurice and Juliana had issue, at least: William born 27th Oct 1779, at Sion, near Carlow. Anne b 1780 Queen's County and died Cheltenham 1869, Arabella b 1786 Queen's County and died Cheltenham, 1868 and Gamaliel Fitzmaurice b 1784. Anne and Arabella were left bequests in the will of Ellen Herring Cooper and were described as friends and cousins. (Ellen was a daughter of Harmina (Fitzmurice) who married Thomas Herring). Anne and Arabella's father and Ellen's mother were brother and sister so Anne and Arabella were first cousins.
James and Juliana's son William Fitzmaurice married Alicia Scott in Nenagh in 1806. Alicia Scott was a daughter of Captain Scott of the 66th Regiment and a granddaughter to Burton Bindon Esq, formerly town Major of Limerick. William became a captain in the Queen's County Militia. William and Alicia had issue:- Juliana born 1807 and baptised on 7th July 1807 at Cahir Church of Ireland, address Cottage and died 1893 (She married Rev Ambrose Lane and moved to Pendleton and had issue an only son William Fitzmaurice Lane and at least two daughters, a 2nd Annie Sarah who married Ashley Hibbard in February 1864, a JP of Montreal and former Lt Col. 6th Battln Canadian Militia, James Scott born March 1810 at Cottage, Lawlestown, Cahir and was baptised on 15th March, 1810 at Cahir Church of Ireland died 1869. William had a second younger daughter Elizabeth, birth date unknown who married Lieutenant Colonel Ralph Henry Johnson-Walsh, 4th son of John Allen Johnson-Walsh, Bart of Ballykilcavan House, Queens County at St George's Church, Dublin on 25th January, 1833. (Ralph married secondly on 5th October 1853 Anne Gregory at Fiddown and Ralph died on 13th July 1861 at Ballyragget Lodge, Co Kilkenny). William and Alicia's son James assumed the surname Scott upon inheriting an estate at Commieston, Kinardineshire, Scotland. James Scott Fitzmaurice lived at Langley Park, Montrose. He married Fanny Drinkwater. They had no issue and the estate passed to their nephew (his sister Juliana's only son William Fitzmaurice Lane who assumed the surname Scott on his inheritance). William Lane Scott did not marry, died in 1925 and the estate passed to Gerald Fitzmaurice Hibbard, son of his sister Annie. He died in Quebec in 1956 and the estate passed to his son Hubert Hibbard. It has since been sold.
Following the death of her husband Captain William in Abbeyleix in 1815, Alicia Fitzmaurice married Major General Sir George Bell in December 1816 at Old Rossory Parish, Enniskillen, Co Fermanagh. The marriage licence bond was issued in Waterford and Lismore and a newspaper announcement suggests that a marriage ceremony also took place in Clonmel.. A daughter Frances Louisa Bell married Alexander James Armstrong and had issue 3 sons and 1 daughter
Harman Fitzmaurice, eldest son of James, married Maria Evans (b 1764 and died 2nd April 1795 at Leighlin, Carlow). She was the daughter of Nathaniel Evans of Ballywilliamroe who had made extensive purchases of land in Carlow in 1703 and his wife Maria Eustace who was the daughter of Edward Eustace and Bridget Longfield. A descendant of Maria's mother's, Oliver Eustace was MP for Carlow in 1639. Sir Robert Maurice Eustace was Speaker of the House of Commons during the reign of Charles 1 and Lord Chancellor of Ireland in 1660. He improved the domain of Harristown. The Eustace family ancestors supported James II, had lands confiscated and subsequently re-instated. Maria was buried on 4th April, 1795 at Leighlin, Carlow, wife of Harman of Spring Hill. She died on 2nd April, 1795.
Harman and Maria had seven children and they lived at Ardateagle, Carlow:-1. Margaret Fitzmaurice married Abraham Haskins on 18th May, 1819
2. Helena Maria Fitzmaurice, born 1784 married 22nd May, 1813 Rev Frederick John Falkiner. She died 13 July 1853 at Spring Hill.
3. Harman Fitzmaurice, born 1785. Died without issue on 23rd October, 1829 aged 44. Address given same as father: Ardatagle.
4. James Fitzmaurice, born 15th June, 1789 (ref: Fitzmaurice vs sadlier) married Henrietta (Harriet) Thomas on 28th November, 1814. (A James born to Harman and Maria is also recorded as date of birth April 1786 at Ardateagle, Carlow.
5. Martha Fitzmaurice, baptised 11th February, 1791 at Leighlin, Carlow. Married John Butler in 1825 at Leighlin, Carlow. No further information yet known.
6. Castiliana Fitzmaurice b 30th April, 1792 Carlow Parish Church. Married John H. Palmer of Rush Hall, Queens County in November 1824 at Leighlin, Carlow. Described as 4th daughter of Harman of Ardatagle in marriage announcement. John and Castiliana had at least one daughter Castiliana b 18 Aug 1825 Carlow. Moved to Hamilton, Wentworth, Ontario.
7. Susanna Fitzmaurice married Rev Charles Edward Tisdall of Dublin on 2nd April, 1820 at Leighlin, Carlow. Described as 5th daughter of Harman Fitzmaurice of Spring Hill, Queens County in marriage announcement.
James Fitzmaurice, Captain, second son (First son was without issue). Born 15th June 1789. Entered Royal Navy on 8th December, 1800. Was the last surviving officer of the Battle of Copenhagen by the time of his death on 10th September 1879 at Old Derrig aged 91. Served under Captain Thomas Bertie on 2nd April 1801. He joined on the Home, East India and South American Stations, the Brilliant 28, Iris 32, Caroline 36 and Lancaster 64. On 18th Nov 1807 he obtained a lieutenancy in the Carnation. Severely wounded in a battle on 3rd Oct 1808 near Porto Rico. On 24th Oct 1809 he was granted a pension of £9 5s. He obtained a gratuity from the patriotic fund. Buried at Killeshin. Had retired on half pay. Had Served as a Justice of the Peace. Married Henrietta (Harriet) Thomas. She was the only daughter of Arthur Thomas of Straw Hall, Carlow. Arthur Thomas also had an only son Arthur junior. Named in the marriage settlement were Matthew Dillon Thomas of Killeen, Queens County and James Thomas of Inch, Carlow as they acted as trustees. Lands of Poolarocken (Rathellen) and Ballylarsney, Co Kilkenny were included in the settlement.(ROD 683 470180). James and Harriet lived for many years at Old Derrig. Recorded as resident in 1818 and again in 1862 at the time of the marriage of their son Harman. Had issue at least twenty children (Carlow Sentenial of 21 Sept 1844 when only 14 were still alive and John was the 15th). he died on 10th September 1879. He married on 28th November 1814.
1. Charlotte Fitzmaurice b 1818, Old Derrig. Described as eldest daughter on marriage to Gamaliel Fitzmaurice , the eighth son of John on 20th June 1850 at Killeshin Parish, Carlow.
2. Sarah Marcella Fitzmaurice, b 21st Dec, 1818 Carlow married Dr James Lafarelle in 1850 (see link). She died 3 Jan 1900 at Coleshill, Warwickshire, England. Had issue
3. Harman Fitzmaurice (Major) and eldest son, b 26 Dec 1820 Carlow married firstly 29 Apr 1862 Killeshin Parish, Carlow Frances Fitzmaurice, daughter of William Raymond Fitzmaurice of Everton, Carlow and Anne Hodson and secondly married 6 Sep 1876 Helena Fitzmaurice, daughter of Arthur Fitzmaurice and Fanny Cary. Died 4th February, 1908 at Crossleigh, Carlow in 88th year and only surviving son at time of his death.
4. Helena Maria Fitzmaurice, b 1823. Described as third daughter on her death on 10th June, 1881 at Old Derrig. Did not marry.
5. James Fitzmaurice, b 5 Aug 1825 and bpt Dunleckney. Burial 24 Sept 1826. Address Leighlin Bridge. Burial at Killeshin.
6. Barbara Harriet Fitzmaurice, (fourth daughter) b 16 Jul 1827 Dunleckney nr Bagnelstown married 30 Jul 1855 at Graigue Church, Carlow William Herring Cooper at Killeshin Parish, Carlow. Had issue.
7. Arthur Thomas Fitzmaurice (Captain), b 24 Aug 1829 Dunleckney nr Bagnelstown married Maria Rourke 31 Oct 1867 Liverpool. Emigrated to Australia. Had issue.
8. Castiliana Fitzmaurice, b 26 Nov 1831 Dunleckney nr Bagnelstown. Died at Fruit Hill, Carlow on 10th January, 1908. Did not marry.
9. Mary Anne Fitzmaurice b 31 Jan 1834 Wells, Dunleckney nr Bagnelstown. Died 3rd April 1912.
10. James Fitzmaurice b 14 Apr 1836 Dunleckney nr Bagnelstown married Anastasia (Anna) Gough on 7 Jun 1883 at Graigue Carlow RC Chapel. His occupation was farmer of Burrin St. Anna was the daughter of John Gough, farmer of Old Derrig. She was born in 1855 in Carlow and died in Dublin in 1926. The witnesses at the marriage were James Delahunt and Judith Moore. He died 18 Jan 1894.
11. Raymond Fitzmaurice b 1839 married 20 Feb 1879 Sarah Georgina Lynn. He emigrated to New Zealand and died 11 Oct 1899. Buried at Burkes Creek . Had issue.
12. Gerald Fitzmaurice b 6 May 1841 Old Derrig, Carlow m 17 Mar 1877 in New Zealand to Lucilla Amelia Smith (b 19 Jun 1857 and died 25 Mar 1941 Lower Hutt). He died 10th April 1893 at Lower Hutt, Wellington, New Zealand. Had issue nine children. (see below)
13. Harmina Florence Fitzmaurice b 21 Nov 1843 Old Derrig, Carlow. Died 1933 in Birr, Co Offaly.
14. John Fitzmaurice born 18th Sep 1844 Old Derrig, Carlow, the twentieth child of whom fourteen were still living.
15. Robert Fitzmaurice b 1848 Queenstown, Cork. Ireland and married Catherine Wood on 13 Feb 1878 in Sydney, New South Wales. He died 21 Jun 1896 at Westend, Townsville.
Major Harman Fitzmaurice, eldest son and heir of James and Harriet, Captain in the Queens County Royal Rifles (joined at time of Crimean War) married Frances Fitzmaurice (b 23 Nov 1837 and died 17 Oct 1869), his cousin on 29 April 1862 and had issue four children. Died on 4th April, 1908 in 88th year. Buried at Killeshin.
1. Geraldine Fitzmaurice (eldest daughter) b 23 Mar 1863 Everton, Carlow married Rev Thomas William Harpur, then rector of Muckamore, Co Antrim, son of Rev Thomas Bernard Harpur on 19th Jan 1887 at Killeshin (Address: Castleview House, Graigue at marriage). Rev Thomas was married by his father. Geraldine died 11 Feb 1960.
2. Flora Kathleen Fitzmaurice b 1 Jan 1865 Everton married Major Justus Wilson of Norwichville, Ontario, Canada. She d 24 July 1915, Cheriton, Folkestone. Kent. Her husband married again.
3. Harman Fitzmaurice b 25 Mar 1866 (eldest son) at Crossleigh, Carlow married Amelia Jane Treacey, daughter of Francis Treacey of Clogrennan Lock, Retired Head Constable and his wife Amelia Connor. Marriage witnessed by John Shindall and Francis Treacey - 31st August, 1898 at Cloydagh Parish on 31 Aug 1898 at Leighlin, Carlow. He died 10 Jan 1907 in New York. Died aged 41.
4. Amy Fitzmaurice b 13 Mar 1867 at Crossleigh, Carlow married on 23 Feb 1910 Henry Charles Cary. brother of her step sister's husband Major Clarence Cary.
Major Harman of Spring Hill, Queens Co married secondly on 6th Sept 1876 at St Anne's. Leighlin, his cousin Helena Fitzmaurice (b 30th July 1846 and d Nov 1896), a daughter of Arthur Fitzmaurice and Fanny Cary of Kelvin Grove. Witnesses Harding and William Fitzmaurice. Had issue:-
1. Colonel Raymond Fitzmaurice b 23 Jul 1877 Spring Hill, Carlow and died 25 Jun 1962. Married Estelle Lucy Lambert (b 1880 Hertford, England and d 1971 Kalamalka, British Columbia, daughter of Rev James Hiley Lambert and his wife Anne Sarah Lucy. Had issue one daughter Kathleen Lucy Fitzmaurice b 1904 and died 1962 at Kalamalka, British Columbia, Canada.
2. Ada (Poppie) Fitzmaurice b 13 Dec 1878 Spring Hill, Carlow married Major Clarence Cary, a brother of Henry Charles Cary who married her step sister Amy Fitzmaurice.
3. Arthur Fitzmaurice b 17 Nov 1880 Spring Hill, Carlow and died 1881.
4. Ethel Fitzmaurice b 27 Jan 1886 at Castleview House, Carlow married A. Noonan. No further information yet found.
of Walmer, Royal Navy b 1784 and d 1836 (will dated 26th Feb 1836).
Entered Navy 7th May 1802. Commissioned 1st February, 1812. Served as
Lieutenant on the Conqueror at the Battle of Trafalgar (the fourth ship
following Victory, Temeraire and Neptune. Promoted from Commander to
Lieutenant in 1802. Died 1836. He
married on 17 Mar 1817 (Canterbury MLB) Hannah Sophia Hollams, daughter of
John Hollams of Kent b 1763 and his wife Mary Petley (Hannah was b 1794 Deal, Kent and d 20 Jan 1866
London). They had issue:
(a) Gamaliel Fitzmaurice b 1819 Upper Deal, Kent and died June 1895. Colonel East India Service, Madras. Married Isabella Bruce (b 1828 West Indies & d 12 Aug 1904 Bath, Somerset aged 77) on 1 Mar 1852 St Pancras, London.
(b) Julia Sophia Fitzmaurice b 1828 Kent and died 12th May, 1916 London. Married first Frederick Griffin, secondly Captain John Edward Manby. No issue.
(c) George Fitzmaurice b 21st July 1833 Kent. Married March 1851 Hester Dunn of Gloucestershire.
Hannah Fitzmaurice was living as a widow with Julia (unmarried, aged 23) at 98 Mount St, St George, Hanover Square, Westminster in 1851.
Gamaliel Fitzmaurice and Isabella Bruce had issue:
The family lived at 3 York Road, Hove in 1861 and at Clifton Hill, Brighton in 1871 (Their son Henry was at home and Sophie (aged 5) was at school at Rock House, Maidstone and Robert (aged 13) was at School at Chamberlain St, Wells. By 1881 Gamaliel, Isabella, Sophia and Henry were living at Denmark Hill, Wimbledon and in 1891 they were still at 17 Denmark Hill with Sophia and Henry A (aged 27), a sales auctioneers clerk.
(i) Sophia Eliza Fitzmaurice b Madras, India 1856. In 1901 she was living with her mother, Isabella, a widow at 2 Harley Place, Clifton Down, Bristol as boarders. Living at 184 Pepys Rd, Wimbledon 1911. Died 1941 aged 84.
(ii) Henry Alfred Fitzmaurice b 1864 Tunbridge Wells, Kent. Became a solicitors articled clerk. Visitor in 1901 census at 32 Lime Grove, Hammersmith, home of Peachey Ada Beryl. Listed as married and occupation solicitor. Died 8 Nov 1908 West Kensington (had issue):
(1) Hildegarde Fitzmaurice
(2) Ernestine Fitzmaurice married Callandro and had issue:- Victor Callandro
(iii) Robert Bruce Fitzmaurice b 1858 Hove, Sussex and d 1 Apr 1916 Mona, Sidcup, Kent. In 1881 UK census was living with Julia Sophia and the Griffens at 1 Palace Garden, Paddington & 7 servants. Married Dec 1890 Kensington Edith Jacobs, born in Kensington. In 1891 Robert and Edith were living at 3 Pembridge Villas, Wimbledon Park Road, Lambeth. In 1901 they lived at Manor Lodge, Clarendon Park, Putney. He was a ship broker. In 1911 the address was recorded as 2 Clarendon Road, Putney. Had issue:-
(a) Desmond Fitzmaurice b 1894. Died 8th January 1915 at Tidworth Hospital, Wiltshire. Was Clerk, Shipping Office
(b) Sheelagh Fitzmaurice (b 7 Jul 1900 and died Oct-Dec 1974 aged 74 in Andover, Hampshire) married Geoffrey Harold Brinkman McCall, RAF, son of Robert A McCall and Alice E. who were living in Kensington in 1901 census (He was b 20th Feb 1896 and died aged 92 in 1992).
Julia Sophia Fitzmaurice, daughter of Gamaliel and Hannah Hollams married Frederick Griffen, a landed proprietor of Edgbaston, Warwickshire and son of John Griffen, Rector of Bradley. In 1861 they were living at 1 Palace Gardens, Paddington with Hannah, mother and widow, John H., brother of Frederick, Emily S, sister of Frederick and 6 servants. Julia and Frederick were still at Palace Gardens in 1871 with 6 servants. In 1891 Julia Sophia Griffen was widowed and living at 1 Kensington Palace Gardens with visitor John Ed Newby and five servants. Sometime after 1891 she married Manby and was living at 2 Upper Addison Gardens. Kensington in 1901 and 1911 as a widow with 3 servants. She died 1916.
George Fitzmaurice, daughter of Gamaliel and Hannah, married Hester Dunn in March 1851 (she was b 1834 and died 1912 Mansfield, Victoria Australia). Became an accountant. He died in Mansfield, Australia on 5th August, 1911. Had issue:-
(1) Fanny Hester Fitzmaurice b 1855, Hampstead, England
(2) Annie Fitzmaurice, b 1858, Sydney, New South Wales
(3) George Edward Fitzmaurice b 1859, Parramatta, New South Wales. Married 1883 Jane Miller McClelland.
(4) Alfred Fitzmaurice b 1861 New Zealand m 1885 Harriet Louisa Smith. Had issue: a) 1886 Edith Merle Muriel Fitzmaurice died 1888 and b) 1889 Elsa Muriel Hester Fitzmaurice.
(5) Henry Fitzmaurice b 1866. Died 1889
George Edward Fitzmaurice, (occupation: Grazier), and Jane Miller McClelland had issue:-
(1) Maurice George Fitzmaurice b 1885. Farmer. Howqua West. Died 1945
(2) Eric Fitzmaurice b 1886. Lived at Howgua West. Farmer. Died 1924
(3) Hester Annie Fitzmaurice b 1888
(4) Albert Edward Fitzmaurice b 1893 and died 1896
(5) Ella Gertrude Fitzmaurice b 1895 and died 1913
(6) Ethel Mildred Fitzmaurice b 1891 and died 1952
(7) Harold John Fitzmaurice b 1889. Married Muriel Smithers. Had issue Keith Harold who died 1924. Harold died 1939
(8) Lawrence Reginald Fitzmaurice b 1897 Mansfield, Victoria. Died 17th April, 1970 at Malvern, Victoria, Australia aged 73. Married Irene Lord 1937. No issue.
Captain Arthur Thomas Fitzmaurice, son of James and
Harriet b 24 Aug 1829
Dunleckney, nr Bagnelstown married Maria Rourke on 31 Oct 1867 in Liverpool.
He died 10 Nov 1875 Melbourne, Australia. Had issue:
1. Mary Josephine Fitzmaurice b 1871? Queens County. She died 27 Aug 1947, 65 Simpson St, East Melbourne, Australia. Married George Joseph Stackpole 15 Aug 1895 St Mary's, North Melbourne and had issue Vincent Arthur Patrick Stackpole b 16 Oct 1896
2. Frances Marion Fitzmaurice b 28 May 1870 in Ireland. Died 30 Dec 1947 Sunbury, Australia.
3. Robert Fitzmaurice b 1873. Died 1876 Melbourne, Australia.
son of James and Harriet, b 14 Apr 1836 Dunleckney nr Bagnelstown married Anastasia (Anna) Gough,
daughter of John Gough, farmer of Old Derrig
on 7 Jun 1883 at Graigue Carlow. He died 18 Jan 1894. Had
1. Joseph Robert Fitzmaurice b Apr-Jun 1884, Carlow. Married Mary Elizabeth McCormack 29 April 1914 at St Anne's, Bagnalstown. He died Oct-Dec 1916. Had issue: Eileen Anne b 7 Dec 1914 and died 2007 and Gerald Robert b 13 July 1916. Neither children married. Mary lived in London with Eileen following the death of Joseph Robert.
2. Gerald Fitzmaurice b 1888 Carlow. Married 25 Jul 1927 Church of St Agatha, Dublin Mary Molphy. Had issue five children.
3. John Fitzmaurice b 1890 Carlow
4. James b 1887 Queens County. Married. Further information not yet known.
Fitzmaurice b 1839 married 20 Feb 1879
at Michael Ramsey's Residence, Black Point, Reefton, New Zealand Sarah Georgina Lynn
(b 1858 Co Limerick and d 3 Mar 1950 Lower Hutt, Wellington, New Zealand). He died 11 Oct 1899. Buried at Burkes Creek
1. James Fitzmaurice, b 4th Jan 1880 at Blacks Point, Westland, New Zealand. he died circa 1948 in South Africa.
2. Arthur William Fitzmaurice, b 6th June 1888 at Blacks Point. Married firstly to Wilhelmina Torrence McKernan on 23rd March 1912 in Nelson. She was born ca 1890 Ballymena, Co Antrim and died 1915 in Buller, Westland. Had issue two children:
a) Agnes Torrence b 18th Oct 1912 Westport, Westland and died 21st July 2000 in Lower Hutt. She married Grenville William Heatherwick b 28th May 1910 Aberdeen, Scotland and d 7 Feb 1969. They married in 1934 and had issue:-
(i) Margaret Heatherwick b 2 Jun 1935 in Wellington. Married Thomas James Sharp on 22nd Oct 1955 at Miramar, Wellington. Had issue:-
1) Peter Bernard Sharp who m Hazel. Had issue Riki and Le Arne
2) John Francis. Married Pauline and had Matthew, Jamie, Nicholas and Kristie
3) Clare married Grant Parkinson and had issue Jaenine and Sonia
4) Maureen Anne married Kieman and had issue Jack.
5) Helen Mary married Lesley Hoeta and had issue Vanessa and Mikayla
6) Kevin James married Bridget and had issue William, Patrick and Alexander.
7) David William married Dorien Tulp and had issue Tom, Annabell, Lydia, Jerusha, Marybeth, Rangi John
8) Patricia Diane.
(ii) Kathleen Heatherwick, b 15 Dec 1937 Wellington. Married Roy Hearn b 1936. Had one son Nicholas.
(iii) William Alexander Richard Heatherwick b 1 Feb 1947. Married Jennifer Anset 14 Sep 1968 at Holy Cross, Miramar, Wellington. She was b 9th June 1947. Had issue:
a) Michael William
b) Phillip Bruce married Louise Christine Buckley and had issue Alex Josh
c) Shane Richard married Bilge Polat.
d) Shona Sheree married Michael Doughlas O'Hanlon. Had issue Neve Sinead.
(iv) Robert James Heatherwick b 5 Jul 1950. Married Barbara Fen b 26 Jun 1950. Had issue Jadine (had Felix) and Carley
b) Arthur William Fitzmaurice b 1915 Buller, Westland.
He married secondly in 1927 Honoria Agnes Okeby (b 1894 and died 24 July 1973 at Levin. New Zealand. He died 1 Mar 1975 Otaki, Manawatha, New Zealand. Buried Otaki, Manawatu.
3. Raymond Fitzmaurice, b 3rd June 1881 probably at Blacks Point. Married 11 Dec 1905 Greymouth Dorothy McGurk (b 1884 at Hokitika, Westland and d 11th November 1963 at Wellington, New Zealand). Had issue three children:
a)Sarah Marcella Fitzmaurice b 4th Oct 1906 at Blacks Point and married Edward Thomas Kelly b 1904 Denniston, Westland on 28th March 1928 St Patricks Church, Napier, Hawkes Bay, NZ.
b)Raymond Lynn Fitzmaurice b 21 Oct 1913 at Blacks Point. He died 23rd August 1971 Lower Hutt. New Zealand. Married Joan McLaggan b 1917 Tokomaru, Manawatu on 16th December 1939 in Shannon, Manawatu, NZ.
c) William James Fitzmaurice b 1920 Petone, Wellington, NZ, died 1977 Wellington. Married Gwen Gladys Shramka in 1944.
4. Harriet Castiliana Fitzmaurice, b 22nd July 1883. Married Donald Wells. No further information yet known.
5. Sarah Marcella Fitzmaurice, b 17th March 1886 at Blacks Point. Died 27th September 1965. married Andrew Patrick Sheehan on 14th August 1907 at Sacred Heart Church, Wellington, NZ (b 1884 Napier, Hawkes Bay, New Zealand). Had issue one child Beatrice Georgina Sheehan b 10 Jul 1908 and died 6 Feb 2004. Married Donald James McKenzie in 1937.
Gerald Fitzmaurice b 6 May 1841 Old Derrig, Carlow m 17 Mar 1877 in New Zealand to
Lucilla Amelia Smith (b 19 June 1857 and d 25 Mar 1941 Lower Hutt). He died 1893. Had issue
1. Robert Gerald Fitzmaurice, b 4 Jan 1877. Died 29 August 1937 Lower Hutt. No marriage or issue.
2. Arthur James Fitzmaurice, b 27 Feb 1878 Lower Hutt and d 2 Jul 1950 Lower Hutt. Married Henrietta Jane Fraser (b 6 Aug 1876 and died 1934 Lower Hutt) on 23rd Feb 1906 at Invercargill. Had issue:
a) Arthur Gerald Fitzmaurice b 9th March 1906 Invercargill and died 17th April 1987 Lower Hutt. Married 28th Masr 1934 at St James Lower Hutt to Dorothy Mavis Jones (b 23 May 1913 Poriru and died 11 March 1958 Lower Hutt).
b) George Alexander Fitzmaurice b 7th June 1907 Wellington and died 1985 Timaru. Married 18th May 1938 Presbyterian Manse, Wellington to Louis Emma McKenzie (b 20 April 1908 Timaru and died 1988 Timaru.
3. Marcella Harriett Fitzmaurice, b 20 Sep 1880 Wellington and d 9th Nov 1958. Married Andrew des Fountain Sampson (b 1877 Wellington and d 1956) and had issue:-
a) Huddart Richards b 1903. Married 1928 Dorothy Edith Peach. No other known details
b) James Douglas b 1905 and died 1965. married Harriet Isabel O'Connor.
c) Alma Edith b 21st October 1906 and died 1998. Married 3 April 1929 Selwyn Church Mangere East to Eric John Garlick.
4. Mary Ann Fitzmaurice b 16 May 1882 and died 16 Oct 1902 Wellington. No issue or marriage.
5. Thomas Henry Fitzmaurice, b 12 Oct 1884 and died 26th Sept 1935. Thomas Henry Thompson Fitzmaurice b 19th April 1915 Wellington (Thomas's mother was Violet Raymond (b ca 1896 Christchurch) and Thomas was born out of wedlock) Thomas junior died 1989. Thomas Senior married Ellen Pound (b 2 Dec 1893 Greytown, Wairarapa and died 21 Jun 1967) on 25 Nov 1919 Registry Office, Wellington and had Maurice Harman b 30 December 1921 and died 19th December Palmerston North. Ellen Pound had a child out of wedlock before her marriage to Thomas Henry - Frederick John Pound b 25 May 1910 Wellington and who married in 1934 Ethel Camelia Staples.
6. Gilbert Edward Raymond Fitzmaurice, b 13 Nov 1886. Died 28 Feb 1912 at Taumarunui, New Zealand. No marriage or issue.
7. Castillian Amelia Fitzmaurice, b 30 April 1889 and died 9th Nov 1977 Dunedin, Otago. Married 25 Aug 1915 at St Peters Wellington Lionel Wallis Gilbert (b 22 Jan 1889 and died 24 Aug 1968) and had issue three children.
a) Major Lionel de Vallenger Gilbert MC, ED. Born 1917 and died 2nd January 2010 Dunedin. He married on 14th Sept 1946 at St barnabas, Mt Eden, Auckland Margaret Rowan Carlaw (b 1918 and died 2001).
b) Gerald Harman Gilbert b 10th June 1921 Melbourne, Australia and died 15th march 1944 in England.
c) Ngaire Rae Gilbert b 7th June 1926. On 12th Feb 1949 married at St Michaels, Wellington George Edward Keith Sare (b 18th Feb 1924 Invercargill)
8. William George Fitzmaurice, b 4th Aug 1891 and died 14 Sept 1973. Married Ivy Myrtle Curtis (b 23 Jun 1891 and died 25 Nov 1977) on 12 Nov 1913 at St Augustines Church, Petone. Had issue five children:-
a) Ellen Grace, b 9th April 1915 and married Ernest Maxwell O'Sullivan
b) Ngaire Mabel b 8th Jan 1918 and died 1999. Married firstly 1937 Les McPherson and secondly in 1963 to Charles Goddard. No issue.
c) Joyce Edna b 1920 and died 1985. Married 1940 George Joseph John Hart.
d) Trevor William b 1921 and died 1966
e) Beverley Mabel b 22nd Feb 1937 Lower Hutt and died 15th Nov 2013 at Greytown. married 7th Sept 1957 Kevin Prendiville b 8th Feb 1935 Lower Hutt and died 9th Sept 2013 Greytown.
9. Harman Samuel Fitzmaurice, b 8 Sep 1893 Wellington and died 7 June 1917 Messines, Belgium. No marriage or issue.
Robert Fitzmaurice b 1848 Queenstown, Cork.
Ireland and married Catherine Wood, the daughter of James Wood and Catherine
McGrath on 13 Feb 1878 in Sydney, New South
Wales. He died 21 Jun 1896 at Westend, Townsville. Had issue:-|
1. Edward Henry Fitzmaurice b 14 Oct 1880, Winton, Queensland and died 3 Oct 1956.
2. Alice Maud Fitzmaurice, b 1879 Glebe, NSW
3. Marcella Florence Fitzmaurice, b 18 Mar 1883 Queensland. Married William Wilson and had issue two children, ? Wilson and Bruce Wilson b 1921.
4. Robert James Fitzmaurice, b 27 Aug 1884 Queensland
5. Herbert Sylvester Fitzmaurice, b 8 Aug 1888 Queensland
6. Irene May Fitzmaurice, b 22 Feb 1893 Queensland. Married Joseph Edward Anderson on 3 Dec 1927 in Sydney.
7. Alice Maud Fitzmaurice, b 3 Nov 1895 Queensland
Edward Henry Fitzmaurice married Catherine Anne Allen (b 5 Jun 1889 Torrens Creek, Northern Railway and died 25 Sep 1982 Townsville) on 7 Sep 1910 in Queensland. Had issue:-
1. Kathleen Elsie Fitzmaurice, b 16 Aug 1911 Queensland. Married Frederick Edwin Beattie on 11 Dec 1935 in Queensland.
2. Dulcie Eileen Fitzmaurice, b 12 Mar 1913 Townsville. Married Benjamin James Corcoran on 18th May 1946 in Bundaberg.
3. Evelyn Gertrude Fitzmaurice, b 3 Jul 1914 Townsville. Married Edward Jacob Victor Hanson on 18 Jun 1941 and had issue.
4. Allen Robert Fitzmaurice, b 8 Dec 1920 Townsville. Married Joan Moore.
Harman Fitzmaurice married
Amelia Jane Treacey on 31 Aug 1898 at Cloydagh Parish, Carlow. He died
10 Jan 1907 in New York. Had issue:|
(1) Harman Fitzmaurice b 13 Jul 1899 and died 25 Feb 1966 at Van Etten, Chemung County, New York. He married Alice Alma Porter who was born 18 May 1904 Baldwin, Chemung County, NY and who died 28 June 1978 and had issue:-
(a) Esther Marion Fitzmaurice b 17 Oct 1923 and died 16 Jul 1962 at Robert Packer Hospital, Bradford County, PA. Married 23 Dec 1922 Lee Mathews and had issue five children:
(b) Myron Calvin Fitzmaurice b 16th Aug 1943 and died 13 Nov 1944, Lyte Island, Phillipines, WWII
(c) Irene Amy Fitzmaurice b 6 Jun 1929 and died 2 Aug 1948 Tioga General Hospital, Waverley, Barton, Tioga. Married 29 Feb 1948 Del Mathews and had issue.
(d) Florence Louise Fitzmaurice b 20 Dec 1932 and died 24 Mar 1976. Married Emerson Reynolds on 15 Jan 1955 and had issue five children
(e) Raymond Darwin Fitzmaurice b 20 Jan 1936 and died 22nd March 1942.
(2) George Fitzmaurice died 1918
(3) Amy Fitzmaurice b 7 Nov 1903 and died 2001
Details of some families who appear to be descended from this branch
of the 20th Lord but where connections have not yet been made:|
(1)William Henry Fitzmaurice, 2nd Leinster Regiment, married Annie Pearn (b 1894 Cork, daughter of William Pearn, a sea captain aged 40 at time of her marriage and his wife was Hannah b 1874 Co Cork) on 15th February, 1915 at RC Church of Shanbally, Cork. William Henry's address at the time of his marriage was Passage West, Cork and occupation Drummer, army. He was the son of John Fitzmaurice (deceased), a night watchman. Had issue:
(a) Thomas Harman Fitzmaurice
Not yet identified:-
(2) John Fitzmaurice of 21 John Rogerson's Quay, Dublin married Kate Cahill of 77 Townsend St Dublin at St Marks Church of Ireland, Dublin. The father of John was Patrick Henry Fitzmaurice. Had issue:-
(a) Thomas Harman Fitzmaurice b 26th January, 1875 at 77 Townsend St to John and Kate. John's occupation was given as commissioner.
(b) Jemima Fitzmaurice, b 27th February, 1877 with address as 51 Upper Mount St, Dublin to John and Kate. Baptised at St Stephens Church of Ireland on 31st March, 1879
(c) William Henry Fitzmaurice, b 18th May 1883 with address of 48 Queen Square, Dublin to John and Kate. Baptised on 8th June, 1883 (could be the same William Henry of (1) above who married Annie Pearn.
Not yet identified
(3) 1840 A birth of James Harman Fitzmaurice, son of Henry Fitzmaurice. May have entered army and been married twice.
Not yet identified
(4) Susanna Fitzmaurice died 29th Jan 1904 aged 29, wife of Harman Fitzmaurice. Burial at Leighlin, Carlow.
Not yet identified
(5) Robert Fitzmaurice burial at Leighlin, Carlow on 1st March, 1820.
Not identified yet
(6) Arabella Fitzmaurice and Arthur Thomas of Dunleckney marriage at Killeshin, Carlow on 24th June, 1830. Witnessed by James Fitzmaurice and James Thomas.
Marriage at St Thomas, Dublin on 8th July 1854 of William Robert Lecky to Susanna Thomas, the daughter of Arthur Thomas. William Raymond Fitzmaurice, a son of John Fitzmaurice and Henrietta Cary was a witness for Susanna at the wedding. Susanna's address was 18 Talbot St and William Lecky, Balinnaring, Co Carlow. His father was William Lecky.
(7) James Harman Fitzmaurice. Served as 'Mate' on board the ship Isabella which was taken on 13th May 1826 at Sierra Leone and suspected to have been by pirates. Was James the son of John and his wife Henrietta Frances Cary who was born in 1804 as he has not been accounted for in the tree?